Monday, August 22, 2011

a whole new ballgame...

In my last posting on this blog, i was not yet officially a mommy....and today I write this as the mommy of a 2month old!

here are the highlights
-Arthur Alan Clough was born on 6/20 (1 week early)
5lbs 11oz, 20.5" long....yup, a long skinny guys!
-labor was just 8 hours--fast and intense.  Oof.  A little scary, too.  Arie's heart rate kept dropping with each contraction.  so alarms kept going off.  turns out, it was becuase his umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck.  we didn't know this until the very end, so an emergency c-section team was on standby in my room in case Arie didn't tolerate the pushing well.  but he did.  Just 5 sets of pushes and he was out!

-the first 2 weeks of motherhood are quite the experience and adjustment.  week 3 felt better.  by week 6 i was starting to see how I'd be able to juggle being a mommy while also taking care of the house and getting back to work

-nursing takes a lot of time.  and breast fed babies like to eat a little several times a day.  even now that he's 2 months old, he's still eating about every 2-3 hours during the day time.  At night, he's starting to really do well.  I nurse him, then he gets a bath and then Daddy (Josh) gives him a bottle I've prepped.  so that really stuffs the kid.  Just this past week we're finally getting into a 5-6 hour stretch at night.  after his 1st wake up at 3 or 4am, though, he's up every 2 hours after that.  but I can handle that for the most part.  better than every 2 hours the whole night like it was for the first month...

-Arie loves going on walks in his stroller.  and he loves sitting in his little chair out in my workshop and watching me while I work.  fortunately, he likes the sound of the engraver (it's like white noise to him).  but he doesn't get to be out in the office when i'm soldering metal.  I do all that kind of work first think in the morning while he's still asleep.

-i would not say that arthur has colic--but he does get the grumps in the evening.  cuddles, eating, and walks outside seem to do the trick.  Oh and he loves bathtime :)

i love my little man more than I ever thought possible.  can't imagine life with out him!

Arie's Churching 3 weeks ago


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete